A broken windshield: repair or replace?
The windshield plays an essential role in the structure of a vehicle and in the protection of its passengers. During an impact, it is important to consult an expert as quickly as possible so that the situation does not get worse. The faster you act on a minor crack, the better the chance that a simple repair will be sufficient.
5 SITUATIONS WHERE A REPAIR IS POSSIBLE
- There are no more than 3 glass chips to repair.
- The size of the chip is no larger than a dollar coin.
- The point of impact is at least 4 cm from the edge of the windshield.
- The break is not in the driver's field of vision, so about 30 cm above the center of the steering wheel.
- Windshield damage is limited to the outer layer of the glass.
Repairing a chip takes little time and will help extend the life of your windshield. If you have insurance that covers glass damage, the repair could even be free. To learn more about the steps in a repair or to consult an expert for an evaluation, contact us.
5 SITUATIONS WHERE A REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED
- There are several cracks or chips on the windshield.
- The impact hits the edge of the windshield.
- The break is in the driver's field of vision.
- The crack in the glass has increased since the impact.
- Water is entering the interior of the vehicle.
A windshield replacement is often necessary. It is important to refer to an expert in order to replace the glass with a certified and suitable model for your vehicle and with a guarantee. If you have insurance that covers glass breakage, then the replacement may be partially covered by your insurer. To learn more about the steps of a replacement or to book an appointment with an expert for an evaluation, contact us.
Whether a repair or a replacement is necessary in case of any broken windshield, remember that this is a routine operation in the life of a vehicle and the most important thing is your safety and the one of your passengers.